- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, with juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Stir together cream, milk, sugar, and the juice from the jar of cherries in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. Place the egg yolks into a large bowl, then whisk in hot cream, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until you have added 2 cups.
- Whisk the hot yolks into the saucepan of hot cream, then cook on low, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 170 degrees F (75 degrees C). It will have thickened enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into a container, cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 6 hours.
- Chop the reserved maraschino cherries, then stir into the cold custard along with almond extract, and chopped chocolate. Pour into ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.