- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Bring the red wine, orange juice, and orange zest to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the maple syrup and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue cooking 5 minutes more; reduce heat to warm and keep the syrup hot.
- Meanwhile, spread one side of each slice of bread with the softened cream cheese. Press the blueberries into the cream cheese and sandwich two pieces of bread together with the cream cheese on the inside to form the sandwiches; set aside. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl; whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture allowing the egg to soak into the bread; allow excess egg to drip off. Cook the sandwiches in the hot butter until golden brown on both sides and the bread is no longer soggy, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with the hot orange maple syrup.