- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 (2 ounce) jar capers, with liquid
- 12 ounces basil-flavored feta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo pasta, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well, then pour the orzo into a bowl, and toss with the butter to keep it from sticking; set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Stir in the basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. Cook and stir until the pine nuts have toasted to a light golden brown.
- Stir the pine nut mixture into the orzo along with the olives, capers, feta cheese, spinach, and lemon juice. Serve either warm or cold, but it's better the next day.