- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups rye flour
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar, molasses, shortening, salt and remaining water; stir well. Add rye flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down.
- Shape into four round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover ad let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter.