- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped Thai basil
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Set the dipping sauce aside.
- Fill a large bowl with room temperature water. Add rice vermicelli and soak for 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop in shrimp and cook until curled and pink, about 1 minute. Remove the shrimp and drain. Slice each shrimp in half lengthwise. Transfer rice vermicelli noodles to the pot of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove and drain in a colander. Immediately rinse the vermicelli with cold water, stirring to separate the noodles.
- To assemble the rolls, dip 1 rice wrapper in a large bowl of room temperature water for a few seconds to soften. Place wrapper on a work surface and top with 4 shrimp halves, 1/4 of the chopped lettuce, 1/2 ounce vermicelli, and 1/4 each of the mint, cilantro, and Thai basil. Fold right and left edges of the wrapper over the ends of the filling and roll up the spring roll. Repeat with remaining wrappers and ingredients. Cut each roll in half and serve with dipping sauce.