- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Olive Oil, divided
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds mild Italian sausage links
- 2 medium green peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 8 ounces uncooked dry penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut in very thin strips
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add chicken broth and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-low heat. Grill sausages, turning frequently, about 15 minutes or until no longer pink in center and internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. While sausages are cooking, brush green pepper with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove skin from peppers if desired; coarsely chop.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Combine pasta, peppers and broth mixture in large bowl; toss to coat. Add tomatoes and basil; mix well. Spoon onto large serving platter. Cut sausages in half lengthwise. Arrange over pasta mixture. Top with Parmesan cheese.