- 8 roma (plum) tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh salted mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 leaves fresh basil, cut in very thin strips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with garlic, sugar, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Roast tomatoes in the preheated oven until they begin to turn brown and the juices become thick and sticky, about 2 hours. Let tomatoes cool to room temperature.
- Place tomato halves and slices of mozzarella cheese onto a serving platter, alternating tomatoes and cheese to make an attractive pattern; sprinkle salad with basil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar.