- 8 bun-length hot dogs (such as Gwaltney® Bun Sized Jumbo Franks)
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 8 sturdy bamboo skewers
- Place hot dogs into a large pot of simmering water and keep hot.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Whisk flour, corn meal, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, bacon drippings, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl until moistened; beat batter until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove a hot dog from the water and blot completely dry with paper towels; skewer the hot dog lengthwise with a bamboo skewer. Using the skewer end as a handle, roll the hot dog in the batter to thoroughly coat.
- Roll the corn dog in the hot oil with the same continuous rolling motion, setting the batter; continue to roll the corn dog in the hot oil until deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Alternately, lay corn dog into hot oil after initial rolling to finish cooking the batter, about 1 minute per side. Drain corn dogs on paper towels to blot excess oil.