- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, or as needed
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and stir in sugar, butter, and salt until sugar has dissolved. Turn heat to low and whisk in 1 cup of cornmeal until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cornmeal to make a very thick, workable dough.
- Heat 3 cups vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease your hands well with 2 teaspoons of oil and scoop about 3 tablespoons of cornmeal dough; roll the dough into a ball, then shape into a 3-inch long stick about 1/2 inch wide. Repeat with remaining dough, oiling your hands as needed. Deep-fry the cornmeal sticks until golden brown, working in batches of 3 or 4 at a time. Drain fried cornmeal sticks on paper towels and keep warm.
- Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, and garlic salt in a bowl until well combined; serve cornmeal sticks with the sauce for dipping.