- 2 quarts water
- 4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 ham hock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- Place the water in a large pot, and mix in the green beans, ham hock, onion, garlic, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer 4 hours. Remove the ham hock, and slice the meat into small pieces. Return meat to the beans, and serve.