- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix flour, cornmeal, onion, milk, egg, celery, garlic, and Cajun seasoning in a bowl.
- Drop ping pong ball-sized balls of batter, about 5 at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove hush puppies with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter.