- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine rice and onion mixture in a 9x13-inch casserole dish placed on a baking sheet. Stir thoroughly to coat the rice. Combine chicken stock, salt, saffron, and cayenne pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour chicken stock mixture over rice in the casserole dish and stir to combine. Spread mixture evenly along the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove foil and fluff with a fork to separate the grains of rice.