- 5 cups 1/2-inch cubed French or Italian bread
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, stemmed and cut into medium dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch ground black pepper, to taste
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place bread cubes on a cookie sheet with a rim; bake until bread is dried out, about 30 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile dice and salt the tomatoes in a medium bowl; stir in the garlic and let stand until juicy, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare remaining ingredients; add to tomatoes and toss. Add bread cubes; toss again. Adjust seasonings, including pepper to taste. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.