- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 9 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 (8 ounce) package grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until the grease has rendered out and the bacon has begun to brown. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes; set aside. Meanwhile, stir together the softened butter and mustard in a small bowl until smooth. Spread this mixture on both sides of the bread, and set aside. Whisk together the eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and sherry in a bowl.
- Line the bottom and sides of the pie plate with 3 slices of buttered bread. Spread half of the bacon and onion mixture evenly onto the bread. Add another layer of bread, then the remaining onion mixture. Finish with the remaining 3 slices of bread. Pour the egg mixture over the pudding, then sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until the center has firmed and the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.