- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups milk
- In a 6-quart pot, saute celery, onion, and garlic in butter or margarine until soft.
- Stir in flour. Gradually add water, and then vegetables, bouillon cubes, and chives. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. Cover the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and milk, and stir until melted. Do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.