- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (29 ounce) can pear halves, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- 1 (1 pound) loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Evenly distribute the butter cubes into the bottom of a 10x14-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Arrange the pear slices into the bottom of the dish. Arrange the bread cubes into a single layer over the pears.
- Mix the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract together in a bowl until fully blended; pour evenly over the bread cubes, assuring all pieces are evenly covered. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and allow to warm while the oven preheats.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top of the bread is golden brown and the eggs have solidified, 45 to 60 minutes. Top with the sliced almonds to serve.